Friday, February 19, 2010

When We Were Very Young

One of my very very favorite books from when we were little. My dad used to read these poems to us all the time. Sometimes with faux British accents (especially when reading the part of the King or Queen). My brother and I loved each one of these little gems and as Brock and I have been reading them to baby in bed, I realized that I still love them just as much. Maybe more. They're sort of like old songs whose lyrics you'll never forget.



I didn't remember that this copy was actually my dad's when he was little. I only realized it when I brought it home from my parents' house in September and looked at the publication date. You can see it's been very well loved. I would recommend this little book to anyone looking for sweet sing-songy stories to read to your little ones. I think it helps that Mr. Milne wrote these for his son when he was four.






Here are a few of my favorites to welcome you into the weekend:










The simple illustrations are perfect too.

10 comments:

Char said...

what a beautiful treasure.

Anonymous said...

when are you going to have that baby?

ErikaKay said...

This book is so quaint! Very special.

Unknown said...

So perfect. I loved winnie-the-pooh, not commercialized, but the book itself. And this book too. The little prince was also a favorite.

Emily @ Peach & Pearl said...

"Disobedience" is by far the best A.A. Milne poem. Love it! This was one of my favorite books growing up, too.

Stacy said...

We had it, too, and loooooved it. The King asked the Queen and the Queen asked the Dairymaid.... *sigh*

my spatula said...

so, so, so sweet!

¡Fräulein! said...

we must have lived in the same house. same book, same love for it, same condition, same dad.
:::LOVE:::
oh! good luck too.

Amanda said...

Yes yes yes. And also Now We Are Six. xo

(p.s. I lub that dairymaid)

Mary Cyrus said...

I have the whole set of 4 books from the same printing that were also my dad's. I read 3 of the poems from that book and "And Now We Are Six" for an oral reading competition in elementary school and *won*. So many good memories of those little books.

Binker's always talking
'cos I'm teaching him to speak
He sometimes like to do it in a tiny sort of squeak
And he sometimes likes to do it in a hoodling sort of roar!
But I have to do it for him
as his throat is rather sore.